About the CGI.br
The Brazilian Internet Steering Committee (CGI.br) was created by Interministerial Ordinance 147, of May 31st, 1995, which was amended by Presidential Decree 4,829 of September 3rd, 2003, with the purpose of coordinating and integrating all Internet service initiatives in Brazil, as well as promoting technical quality, innovation and the dissemination of the services available.
The CGI.br is comprised of members from the government, the corporate sector, the third sector and the academic community, and as such constitutes a unique Internet governance model for the effective participation of society in decisions involving network implementation, management and use. Based on the principles of multilateralism, transparency and democracy, since July 2004 the CGI.br has been democratically electing representatives from the civil society to participate in discussions and to debate priorities for the Internet together with the government.
Learn more about the history of the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee.
The members of the CGI.br
The Brazilian Internet Steering Committee is composed of 21 members, as follows:
- nine representatives from the Federal Government
- Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation;
- Ministry of Communication;
- Presidential Cabinet;
- Ministry of Defense;
- Ministry of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade;
- Ministry of Planning, Budget and Management;
- National Telecommunication Agency;
- National Council for Scientific and Technological Development;
- National Council of State Secretariats for Science, Technology and Information Issues - CONSECTI.
- Four representatives from the corporate sector
- Internet access and content providers;
- Telecommunication infrastructure providers;
- Hardware, telecommunication and software industries;
- Enterprises that use the Internet.
- Four representatives from the third sector
- Three representatives from the scientific and technological community
- One Internet expert
Meet the current members of the committee.
The mission of the CGI.br involves certain rights and responsibilities, which include:
- proposing policies and procedures regarding the regulation of Internet activities;
- recommending standards for technical and operational procedures for the Internet in Brazil;
- establishing strategic directives related to the use and development of the Internet in Brazil;
- promoting studies and technical standards for network and service security in the country;
- coordinating the allocation of Internet addresses (IPs) and registration in the <.br> domain;
- collecting, organizing and disseminating information on Internet services, including indicators and statistics.